Saturday, October 9, 2010

That's why this house is great

This was the view (ok, it doesn't do it justice, but you get the drift... it is 80 degrees on my awesome screened porch with the oak leaves gently falling):

I spent the morning here with my friend and colleague from UCSF that I never see.  We talked about grants, and data, and ate some Mahnomin Porridge (an Al Franken thing http://franken.senate.gov/?p=breakfast, which is appropriate as he went to school with Al).

Then the kid mayhem started.  I am home with them, and a buddy, on Fridays (I do things like work till 2am so there is no guilt involved with this Friday afternoon mom-thing).  School gets out at 2:07, and the kids get to the bus stop at the end of our road at 2:37.  At 2:08 I get a call from the school nurse.  She tells me how littleT got to her office with a bloody nose at 1:55, that it hadn't stopped bleeding, and she had to send him to the school bus with a pocket full of Kleenex.  Ok, that sounds about right. 

WHILE we are talking another call is coming in, and I ignore it, because, you know, I'm on the phone with the school nurse, it doesn't seem right to put her on hold.  I don't recognize the number, I listen to the voicemail, and it is littleT --WHAT??!  "mom, I can't find my backpack and I need it!".  click.  that's all.  who's phone?  how to call back?  where are you??  just, click.

I walk to the end of the road to meet the bus.  And (thankfully) four boys pile out all with backpacks.  And there is great fun telling me about how A-man had little brothers backpack on the bus, and littleT had to run and catch the bus while it was pulling out.

Next comes afterschool snacks.
I've learned "what happened at school today" is not a worthwhile prompt.  So, I go with "how got in trouble today?".  That's right, these two went to the principle's office:

hard to believe, right?  and in fact, while they were doing this:





I had to talk to the principle (yeah, for the 4th time this year).  He's a good guy, and this was not a big deal visit (phew).


That was followed by a lot of football, and buddy time




Then, littleH and her lovely mommy came over:

Then, my brother unexpectedly showed up from 250 miles away!

it doesn't get much better than that.

No comments: