Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The first tooth

littleT is a little brother, and often that means everything seems unfair.  For at least 2 years he has been pining to lose a tooth and cash in.  The buildup has been tremendous!  Unfortunately for him, he is a hammond-nelson, which means he is genetically destined to lose his first tooth at 7.  This has been excruciating as every other kid he knows has lost a tooth.

about a week ago the wiggling began.  He delighted at the fact that his mother gets very squeemish by tooth wiggles. give me blood and guts, but not loose teeth!  And there was all sorts of good ribbing about tying a string around the tooth, or sending Pakka (my Dad) down from Fargo to pull it out (he almost thought that would be worth it for some Pakka pancakes).

last night we came home to Nate-the-great (our babysitter), who informed us that Tomas had lost the tooth.  He had both lost the tooth, and misplaced the tooth in dramatic fashion, as only littleT could.  There was much searching, to no avail, and much stress.  So, a note for the tooth fairy was left under the pillow (I will update the post tonight with an image of the real thing, but for now here is the text):

I lost my tooth, but I couldn't find it.  I really want some money for it because it was my first tooth.  So if you could give me the money I would really like that. [three smiley faces] 


poor littleT.  so, the tooth fairy did the business.  I should disclose that the tooth fairy never gets it right at our house.  The tooth fairy has forgotten many times, and has even forgotten on consecutive nights.  

Then this morning:

Dad, look at my face, what is different?


Now, I present to you the dramatic tale of littleT's first tooth.

I was eating lunch and bit into my hamburger and my tooth stuck in it.  So, I didn't get lunch!  I went to the nurse and she made me clean up all the blood.


littleT, was there a lot of blood?


no.  but she just made me.  and they wouldn't let me call you, I really wanted to call and tell you!  but they wouldn't let me, and that wasn't fair.  Then, everyone was happy for me and I was carrying my tooth, and I tripped on my shoelace and it went flying!  I lost it!!  and we couldn't find it anywhere.  everyone looked.  and A-man helped me look for a really long time.

from what I can tell, he got his brother to go back to the classroom twice with him to look.  plus Nate-the-great.  Poor dude.

But in the end it was all good because the tooth fairy left him two dollars, and now he has eight dollars, and

I really need to go to Target now mom.

No comments: