Friday, November 5, 2010

The oven

We are seeking comfort food this week
Which brings us to the saga of the oven.

When we bought the house Sally (former owner) said "I suppose you will eventually want to get a new oven".  hmmmmm.

The day we closed we had lots of friends and family over to show them the "pre" state of the house.  It was fun!  But darn that oven was not really heating up for the pizzas...  hmmmmm.

And then, as the spring went along, bigT and I had some disagreements about whether the little popping sounds from the oven were "normal gas oven noises" or "dangerous".  Finally, one evening it was loud enough it made me jump, so I called the oven guy.

Turns out those were little explosions happening in the oven!

So, the oven was turned off for the summer.  Yeah, I don't know why.  A normal person would've just gone out and bought an oven.  I guess because I wanted a fancy one  (double oven with a 5th burner), but didn't want to spend the money, we just made-do.  We limped along with just the stovetop and the grill all summer.  And then the canning bug bit me, and i can tell you that this appliance was not meant for canning.  But I perserved!  Until one very late night (cause that's when I can) I turned and saw the entire canner -- one of those giant pots -- engulfed in flames.  And that was the tipping point.

which resulted in this!
Ok, that is a crappy dark picture from the day it was installed.  But, I love, love, love it!  And we eat at home a lot more now, and its awesome for canning with the power burner (although we don't ever use the double oven, i dream of entertaining i guess).

Finally this past weekend we busted out the griddle burner for Pakka to make his pancakes, and since it was out we made yummy greasy grilled cheese.

I love my house.

No comments: